Today will likely be my first and only mileage run. A mileage run is flying just to get miles; typically to make or keep elite status with an airline.
Yes, I live in Minnesota.
Yes, I know it snows in Minnesota in December.
Yes, I knew the risks.
I booked this trip a month ago and was very optimistic that I could avoid delays at all four airports I was scheduled to be at.
Yesterday it became five airports when my first flight was canceled.
I think the snow fall total was seven inches when I left for the airport. Worried. But still a bit optimistic.
My initial flight plan was Minneapolis to St Louis to Atlanta to Vegas. It wasn’t just a mileage run. I just chose to take the long way to Vegas. It was supposed to net me nearly 10,000 miles.
Probably a foot of snow now.
All Minneapolis to St Louis flights were canceled. I was forced to add another leg to my trip and decided on Detroit because the storm was supposed to miss them. I was sure that I was going to be fine if I could get out of Minneapolis.
Three hours later I am still on the tarmac in MSP. The first problem was the right engine wouldn’t start after de-icing. We were towed back to the gate for a jump. About ten people gave up and de-planed.
After an hour or so at the gate with the poor mechanics working very hard both engines started. We then went to the de-icing pad to de-ice the rest of the plane and the left engine died. They were finally able to re-start it.
Kudos to all of those people who are working outside in a blizzard to get our plane going. Applause!
The flight attendants say NOT leaving is not an option because this plane is needed somewhere else. I am comforted by her calmness.
My flight from Detroit should have departed ten minutes ago. I am still in MSP.
Update – runway is closed for snow removal. De-icing has stopped.
I’m sure I will get to Vegas eventually. Hopefully the nice folks in Detroit can get me to Vegas from there. I am over trying to get 10,000 miles.